Neerja Bhanot, a 23-year-old girl, who left the world stunned with her act of bravery, could have celebrated her 54th birthday today.
A simple girl from Mumbai left for her work on a regular day, little did she knew that it would be the worst day of her life. Reciting Rajesh Khanna’s dialogues, she started fulfilling her duties on the PAN-AM flight.
During its layover in Karachi, a bunch of terrorists hijacked it and brutally killed almost every passenger who came in their way.
Along with her other cabin crew, Neerja Bhanot did anything they could to make the passengers comfortable and save their lives until the very end. Unfortunately, she lost her life while saving lives of three small children during the safety evacuation. Her sacrifice was unimaginable and left the world in a state of deep shock.
Here are some life lessons that we can learn from the brave daughter of India.
1. No matter what comes your way, be brave. Even if the person in front of you is the strongest person ever, your bravery will make him/her feel weak.
2. Don’t let anyone in this entire world damage your self-respect.
3. Your family loves you, love them back.
4. If a marriage is toxic, work hard towards making it better. If it doesn’t work out, walk away.
5. Don’t be afraid to fall in love again.
6. Follow your dreams
7. Presence of mind saves you time and sometimes it saves lives.
8. You are not born a hero, you are raised to be one.
Neerja Bhanot was posthumously awarded “Ashoka Chakra Award”, India’s highest gallantry award for bravery in the face of the enemy during peace time. Neerja is the youngest recipient and the first woman recipient of this award.
She also received multiple awards for her courage from the United States government, and the Tamgha-e-Pakistan from Pakistan, an award given for showing great human kindness.
Today, on her birth anniversary, we would like to salute her and thank her for leaving the world with such inspiration.